I’m a hopeless speller… so the saying “I before E except after C” was drummed into me to help me! Sayings have a special impact on our minds and ability to cope and be stable in chaos. The wrong sayings (and stories) can also make life harder. Curiously the Apostle Paul on five occasions introduces a key idea through the identical line: “Here is a trustworthy saying…” It’s like highlighter in the ancient world! So what are the five trustworthy sayings, and why the emphasis on these five points?
These, approved trustworthy sayings, return us to the core essentials of the gospel. They are:
- Christ Came to Save Sinners, 1 Tim 1:12-17 and Luke 24:36-49 (Oct 16)
- The Value of Godliness, 1 Tim 4:1-10 (Oct 23)
- A Noble Task, 1 Tim 3:1-7 (Nov 6)
- He Remains Faithful, 2 Tim 2:11-13 (Nov 13)
- Saved by Grace. Now What?, Titus 3:3-8 (Nov 20)