Yes, thank God it’s Monday and for the opportunities that the Monday-to-Friday week brings! Often, work is seen as a necessary evil, but is that how God frames it? Certainly our ‘work’ can be very hard and toilsome. Our culture to tends to frame work negatively by framing ‘retirement’ as the ultimate escape from work, and also a type of heaven–at least in the sense as it’s an absence of work. However, the bible frames “work” very differently to the world. In the bible “work” is God’s gift to us, and in a sense we continue to be engaged in it until be go and be with Jesus–so even in retirement there is work to do! Because being a follower of Jesus is so much more than Sunday: Thank God it’s Monday!
- Work: A necessary evil, or a gift?, Genesis 2:15-25; 1 Cor. 3:6-15 (Aug 21)
- Work: Dignity and worth?, Luke 16:1-15, Matt. 6:19-34 (Aug 28)
- Work: Stress and toil, Genesis 3:17-19, Eccl 2:17-25, Eph 6:5-9, 1 Thess. 4:11-12, (Sept 4)
- Work: Redemption and Blessing, Genesis 39:1-10, Luke 19:1-10 (Sept 11)
- Work: Creation and Culture, Genesis 4:19-22, Proverbs 31:10-31 (Sept 18)
- Work: How work, works on us, Nehemiah 2:11-20, 6:1-4 (Sept 25)
- Work: The Ultimate commission from God, Col. 3:1-17 (Oct 2)