For the period of lent, the period of preparation for Easter, we’ll return to a familiar theme: Jesus the better!
We looked at the same theme two years ago, but got interrupted by a certain new respiratory illness!
To be over simplified (to make a point), there is just two ways to read the Bible: 1) it’s about you; or 2) it’s about Jesus. The former will present you lots of problems–particularly when you are reading the Old Testament! Jesus however saw, from Moses, the Prophets, the Psalms, Scriptures concerning himself. On the way to Emmaus, after Jesus’ resurrection he explained that “Everything must be fulfilled that is written about me in the Law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms.” See in Luke 24:25-27 and 44. During the season of Lent, the season of preparation for Easter, we will see how the Old Testament prepares us for a saviour like no other.
- Isaac, Genesis 22:1-19; Hebrews 11:17-22 (Mar 6)
- Jacob, Genesis 32:22-32 (Mar 13)
- Moses, Numbers 20:1-13; John 19:28-37; 1 Cor 10:1-7 (Mar 20)
- Esther, Esther 4:1-17; 5:1-8; 7:1-10 (Mar 27)
- Job, Job 1:8-22; 42:7-12 (April 3)
- David, 1 Samuel 17:20-53 (April 10)